Work Pass & Visas

Visa and Visit Pass

Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate (EPEC) – Visas for Foreigners seeking employment in Singapore

In harmony with Globalisation, to assist foreigners seeking employment in Singapore as well as to attract foreign talents, Singapore had recently introduced a new scheme called Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate (EPEC).

Foreigners who hold recognised degrees, professional qualifications or specialised skills can apply for EPEC to enjoy a longer stay in Singapore so as to look for a job.

EPEC allows foreigners to apply for a 6-month social visit pass. That should give them enough time to look for their ideal job in Singapore.

Singapore`s Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA), Work Pass Department, will issue EPEC holder a valid Employment Pass when they successfully secure a job in Singapore.

Other usual immigration requirements to enter Singapore still apply.

EPEC is non-renewable therefore only apply for EPEC when you have decided to come to Singapore to seek employment.

EPEC has been discontinued as of 1st December 2011.

Professional Visas – Foreign professionals who have found employment in Singapore and are about to commence work; those who need to make short visits in their professional capacities; and others who seek training opportunities.

Miscellaneous Work Pass (previously known as Professional Visit Pass) – For Foreigners to undertake short-term professional assignments in Singapore.

Types of short term assignments that require a Foreigner to apply for a Miscellaneous Work Pass:

  • A foreigner who is involved in activities directly related to the organisation or conduct of any seminar, conference, workshop, gathering or talk concerning any religion, race or community, cause, or political end;
  • A foreign religious worker giving talks relating directly or indirectly to any religion; and
  • A foreign journalist, reporter or an accompanying crew member not supported/sponsored by any Singapore Government agency to cover an event or write a story in Singapore.

NOTE: Foreign artiste performing at night-clubs, lounges, pubs and other similar entertainment outlets in Singapore will no longer issued with a Professional Visit Pass and instead issued with a Work Permit (Performing Artistes).

Training Visit Pass (TVP) – For Foreigners undergoing training in Singapore.

NOTE: To apply for a TVP – an acceptable degree / professional qualifications or

currently an undergraduate of a University/tertiary institution or should be able to secure a S$2,500 monthly income. Internship must be of a professional, managerial, executive or specialist nature.

Multiple Journey Visa – For frequent business travellers.

This Visa facilitates the frequent entry of business executives from visa-requiring countries into Singapore. Multiple visits, each lasting up to 30 days, are allowed during the validity period of the visa with no need for a separate visa application for each visit. This is ideal if you anticipate travelling to and from Singapore frequently – whether to explore business opportunities or to attend to your business and investments.

General visit visas – For exploring business activities.

This pass enables you to stay in Singapore for 6 months, to explore business opportunities, conduct feasibility studies or complete negotiations. Highly convenient, the pass allows you to leave and re-enter Singapore within the validity period without having to reapply each time.

Employment Pass – Different types of Employment Pass in Singapore

Employment Pass P1 and P2

  • For a P1 Pass, you need to have acceptable professional qualifications or specialist skills in a professional, administrative, executive or managerial capacity.
  • You must have a basic monthly salary of more than S$8,000.
  • For a P2 Pass, you need to be earning more than S$5,000 and up to S$7,000 per month.
  • With a P Pass, your spouse, adopted children and dependent children below 21 years of age may accompany you on Dependant`s Passes. Aged parents can also visit a P Pass holder on long term visit passes.

Employment Pass Q1

  • For a Q1 Pass, you need to possess acceptable degrees, professional qualifications or specialist skills and earn a basic monthly salary of more than S$4,500
  • You may also obtain Dependant`s Passes for your spouse and children.

S Pass

  • Applicants for S Pass will be assessed on a points system. The points system comprises four categories, namely, salary, educational qualifications, number of years of work experience and job type – to enable a broader assessment of the applicant.
  • Applicants accumulate points based on how far they meet each criterion. The points allocated for each category of criteria will vary over time depending on market conditions.
  • To qualify for the S Pass, applicants must earn a fixed monthly salary of at least S$2,500.
  • S Pass holders with S$6,000 basic monthly salary may also obtain Dependant`s Passes for their spouse and children.

Personalized Employment Pass Scheme

From 1 January 2007, Singapore has introduced a Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) to help attract global talent. The PEP enables selected Employment Pass holders to continue working in Singapore when they have graduated from local institutions of higher learning, and have worked in Singapore for a period of time.

PEP is not tied to any employer and is granted on the strength of an EP holder`s individual merits. The PEP allows the holder to remain in Singapore for up to six months, in -between jobs to evaluate new employment opportunities.

All EP holders in the following groups will be eligible for a PEP, if they have earned a minimum basic salary of S$30,000 or more in the preceding year:

  • P1 and P2 pass holders – whom have at least two years working experience on a P Pass;
  • Q1 pass holders – with at least five years working experience on a Q1 pass; OR
  • Foreign students from institutions of higher learning in Singapore – with at least two years working experience on a P or Q1 Pass.

Social Visit Pass – You will need a Social Visit Pass for short stays in Singapore, to attend job interviews and business negotiations. However, you are not allowed to work in the country.

With an initial validity period of between two and four weeks, the Social Visit Pass may be subsequently renewed for up to three months.

Long-Term Social Visit Pass – Permanent Residents and “P” Employment Pass holders may apply for Long-Term Social Visit Passes for their

  • parents

Long-Term Social Visit Pass holders are required to obtain their own Employment Pass or Work Permit if they wish to work in Singapore.

Dependant`s Pass – An Employment Pass holder (P1, P2, Q1) may apply Dependant`s Passes for his / her spouse, unmarried or legally adopted children under 21 years of age. S Pass holders with S$6,000 basic monthly salary may also obtain Dependant`s Passes for their spouse and children.